Wednesday, June 10, 2009

way out of my comfort zone

I have always wanted to paint...OK, paint and LIKE what I paint. The intimidation of a blank canvas before me is so frightening, since I can only draw stick figures and usually make mud when more than 2 colors are in front of me because I want to use them all. But this past Monday Art Group, I gave in to peer pressure and went along with the program....now I am out of the closet....I have painted FOUR in three days! I can not be stopped. I love it. And I have no idea why. But I am going with it. Now, be nice, remember....IT'S FOLKART!!! ~ You use a glass mirror to see your face; you use works of art to see your soul~ George Bernard Shaw

7 comments:

Tina said...

deb - are you kidding me - these are amazing - yours and your students - simply gorgeous - truly. I love the look of your paintings very rustic and the colors - just wonderful - lucky girls to have a place they can go to and create such beauty!

xo

Curious Goods said...

I wish I was there. am terrified to tr to paint, and I want to push past that fear someday. Thanks for sharing the finished pieces. They are great. Hugs, Donna

Unknown said...

Step out of that comfort zone more often!! I love the quote by Bernard Shaw. I wish I lived near by... Monday Art Group sounds like a BLaSt!!

Meri said...

I think Grandma Moses qualified as a folk artist and she did pretty well for herself.

stregata said...

Great work - keep at it! The only way to learn to paint, is to paint. It doesn't matter if you dón't like the result - you are still expressing yourself. Wonderful!!

Kim Mailhot said...

Yay for loving what we paint !!!! Once you give yourself permission to make "ugly" art, the beauty art comes out ! These Madonnas are so beautiful but I have to say it was the angel that stopped me in my tracks...I think I have met her before...
Here's to painting our soul...

joanne said...

one of my favorite things!!!... stepping out of the comfort zone and just being free to create... i love every piece, not just for how lovely they are to look at, but for how inspirational it is that you all gathered together and had so much fun breaking down barriers together...