Thursday, June 18, 2009

Chiquita bonito

I wanna grow up. I want to meet a nice boy. Maybe he will date me, not rape me. I wanna leave this island, go to college and learn how to use the computer, balance a checkbook, play the piano, paint huge portraits, meet a nice boy, go to the opera, see Europe and visit the United States. I wanna wear a pretty dress. My body is mine, it is not yours to use and abuse. I am beautiful, inside and out. I wanna grow up. ~ written by Deb~ today as I am making my "dress " project (click here to learn more) I am mindful of those beautiful faces in Isla Mujeres when I lived there. All I can do is what I can do, can you?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Why do the children not show their teeth?

They have a hauntingly beautiful but 'much too wise for their years' quality about them.

Vanessa said...

what amazing photographs and compelling words!
thank you...

and thanks for dropping by my blog earlier too!

hope you have a happy weekend,
Vx

Kim Mailhot said...

such beauty in these girls...and in your loving efforts to help them...
I hear them...and you.

girlgonethreadwild said...

wow..wow..wow..

Deb, your post is much more powerful with your written words in combination with those AMAZING pics! Jeff enjoys taking people's photographs.. especially in black & white, I'll def be sharing this experience with him. !

YOU ROCK MY WORLD over and over.. I hope this ride never ends!!!

girlgonethreadwild said...

AND I hope our art "movement" helps bring some light to these atrocities.. EVERY kid deserves the right to grow up!

Stay beautiful..