Thursday, January 1, 2009

Going Green in Carmine

As Matt and I washed our dinner dishes by hand (yes, we uninstalled our dishwasher to save energy and create more space) we discussed the NPR segment about "spending less". Not so much about saving more money, but simply modifying our spending habits. We are no longer big spenders anyway (been there done that). We are simply trying to maintain our course and be as sustainable as possible. NO, my garden does not produce. YES, I occasionally drop a plastic bag in the garbage, yet I wash Ziplocs and re-use them. YES, we shop thrift stores. NO, we no longer have desires for the upper echelons of certain accoutrements. All we want World Peace and Happiness. It has always been Matt's mantra. It was our Holiday greeting card, monoprints made with acrylic paints and cardstock. My January Journal committment and Create Art Everyday project will be focused around recycling, repurposing and reinventing. "Going Green in Carmine" (yes it rhymes) is my new mantra for 2009. Each journal page will be made from scraps, recyclable bits and otherwise someone elses garbage! I have over 50 handmade art journals...fabric, felted, watercolor paper, rage journals, divorce journals, journals about sunshine, love, loss, heartbreak, healing, bad girls, growth, giving birth, falling in love, letting go, celebrations, photos, painting, collage, and even one made from a cigar box! I will make my own January Journal from a discarded library book. It will be my daily reminder to save, scrimp, and salvage scraps for ARTS SAKE!!The word of the month is PLAY! So let the games begin!

4 comments:

Genie Sea said...

What an innovatively creative, and environmentally loving idea! I am looking forward to seeing what treasures unfold!

summersundays-jw said...

I love your ideas & my favorite word is PEACE. My personal goal this year is to try everyday to do at least one thing to better our environment. Maybe I'll start today by making a recycled journal to keep track of my progress. Thanks for checking out my blog & you know what they say, "sometimes it starts with just one" (or maybe I said that. I'll put you on my links so I can keep up with your endeavors. PEACE! Jan

DarklyFey said...

Beautiful idea! I'm looking forward to following along as you go green in Carmine. :)

cconz said...

i just found your blog and ireally enjoyed reading your posts. This post "keeping it simple" sounds like what i'm aiming for. I'll keep checking back.