Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Good Stuff

I love getting a new recipe and sharing my own. My idea for this post came to me this morning as I enjoyed my breakfast wrap! As a Bed and Breakfast owner, I pride myself on egg dishes. I get my fresh yard eggs from my friend Nancy in the picture above, whom I now call THE CHICKEN WHISPERER! She has developed a language with her birds and it's fun to watch her talk to them like children, gathered all around. So when I scramble an egg, I never add milk. I add a dollop of plain yogurt. The egg fluffs up like a puffy omelet you get at Waffle House because they "blend" their eggs. This morning I was out of my yogurt, so I added a chunk of silken tofu and oh what a treat! One egg turned into what seemed like three! And the texture was so wonderful. Now here's my secret for moist, tender scrambled eggs ( I can feel my brother right now getting nauseous as he is "White-Bread-Fried-Eggs-Bacon-Gravy-Biscuit-Boy" making fun of his "Tree Huggin Granola Sister") Never, ever scramble the eggs once they are in the pan. This makes them dry and tough, unless you are cooking for Matt that is his preference. Fold them gently over once, twice if necessary. Another house specialty is Nest Eggs, and that's Matts specialty. He has it down to a science, right down to baked perfection. He cracks eggs into muffin tins, one in each, spoons just a bit of picante sauce and grated cheese on each one and bakes...pops it onto a "nest" of hashbrowns ! We serve a full hot breakfast to our guests along with our home-baked Granola and Flax Bran Muffins loaded with apples, carrots, raisins and walnuts! Nothing Continental around here. And one more house secret: I sprinkle a tiny bit of cinnamon in the coffee grounds before brewing! And last but not least, my Homemade Household Cleanser recipe if you want to go all natural....makes the house smell so healthy and clean! Fill a 32 oz spray bottle with the following: 2 cups water, 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1 tsp pure castile soap ( I use Dr.Bronners Hemp Peppermint), 3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide, 20 drops tea tree oil, 20 drops lemongrass essential oil, 10 drops sandalwood or patchoulli essential oil. I use this on all surfaces except glass because of the oils. Thanks Dawn for a great chicken picture!

3 comments:

PJHornbergerFolkArtist.com said...

I lovvvvvve this post! I want breakfast! I can smell it cooking. Yum! I'd sleep over if I didn't live so close. ~PJ

The Texas Woman said...

This is a great post. Full of professional secrets! Thanks for sharing.

The Texas woman

Miss Robyn said...

I am going to come stay!! I have chickens.. their home is called Villa Eggplant !!